Camp Abilities Brockport is administered and managed by a variety of staff who devote a tremendous amount of time, energy, effort, and other resources each year to ensure that camp is always a success for not only the athletes who attend but everyone else involved as well. The current camp staff are detailed below along with a brief history and contact information (if available).
- Lauren Lieberman, PhD, earned her doctorate in adapted physical education at Oregon State University with an emphasis on sensory impairments. She taught at Perkins School for the Blind. Lieberman is currently a professor and teaches APE at The College at Brockport, State University of New York. She has co-authored several books including: Strategies for Inclusion, Games for People with Sensory Impairments, Going Places: Transition Guidelines for Physical Activity for Children with Visual Impairments, Paraeducators in Physical Education, and continues to do research in this area. You may contact Lauren by calling (585) 395-5361, sending a fax to (585) 395-2771, or simply sending her a message. Click here to view Lauren's vitae.
- Haley Schedlin, MEd, earned both her Bachelor’s degree and Master's degree in Adapted Physical Education from The College at Brockport, State University of New York. She is currently working as a Physical Education Teacher in the West Irondequoit School District. She has been involved with Camp Abilities Brockport for the past seven years and has also been involved with Camp Abilities AZ and AK. Haley has co-authored two fitness manuals for individuals with Visual Impairment with Dr. Lauren Lieberman through research done at Camp Abilities. Haley was recently awarded the 2008 Adapted Physical Education Master's Student of the Year.
Aquatic and Boating Director
- Amanda Tepfer received her Bachelor degree from Wright State University and Master’s from The College at Brockport, both in Adapted Physical Education. She has been involved with Camp Abilities Brockport for the past 15 years, Camp Abilities Tucson for 4 years. Amanda taught Adapted PE for Franklin County MRDD in Columbus, OH, and is now pursuing her Doctorate with Oregon State University.
- Tiffany Mitrakos earned her Bachelor's degree in Physical Education from The College at Brockport. She is finishing her second year of her Master's degree in Adapted Physical Education at The College at Brockport. This will be Tiffany's fifth summer with Camp Abilities Brockport.
- Stacey Gibbins earned her Bachelor's degree in Physical Education from The College at Brockport. She is currently working on her Master's degree in Athletic Administration at The College at Brockport. This will be Stacey's fourth summer with Camp Abilities Brockport.
- Beth Foster is our tandem biking and goalball specialist.
- Charles Roselle is our track and field specialist.
- Cathy Lyle is the interpreter coordinator and deafblind specialist from Minnesota.
- Dani LeRoux is in her sixteenth year at camp abilities Brockport. She has helped as a sport specialist at Florida camp abilities for two years. Dani currently teaches over 100 students with disabilities ranging from elementary to high school adapted physical education. Dani is our track and field and aquatics specialist.
- Don Johnson is our judo specialist who has a 3rd degree black belt in Kodokan Judo, which he started under Olympic Coach, Dr. Sachio Ashida. Here at Brockport he continues to study with Olympians Inaki Sanz and Nagaysu Ogasawara. For the last 5 years Don has taught judo classes here at The College at Brockport.
- Donna DeGiacomo is a 2004 graduate of West Chester University of PA, where she has continued on to pursue her Master's Degree in Health Education. Donna is in her fourth year as a teacher at the PA Leadership Charter School in West Chester where she teaches Middle School Health and PE. In addition to the Brockport Camp, Donna has volunteered at Camp Abilities in Pennsylvania, Long Island, Florida, and Alaska. This year's camp will be Donna's 17th Camp Abilities experience.
- Gina Pucci is in her 12th year at Camp Abilities Brockport and has helped with Camp Abilities Florida for the past two years. She is currently teaching high school health and PE in Cecil County public schools in MD. Gina was the 2004 Camp Abilities Graduate Assistant in Brockport. She is our sports specialist for tandem biking and goalball.
- Judy DeRycke and Sheila Parks are our Camp nurses, keeping everyone healthy.
- Jennifer Duff is our Beep Baseball and Gymnastics Specialist.
- Lisa Hanson is in her eighth year at Camp Abilities Brockport. She has taught Orientation and Mobilitiy in Texas for the past 18 years. Lisa is our O&M Specialist and "Braille Queen".
- David Briggs is our track and field and gymnastics specialist.
- Kyle Sochia is a recent Brockport Master's Graduate, and in his third year as a Track and Field and Aquatics specialist, as well as our fishing coordinator.
- Andrew DeGiacomo is our Beep baseball and Gymnastics specialist.
- Sharon Pagel is the archery specialist and is blind.
- Terry Kelly is a Canadian singer/songwriter who is blind. You can listen to some of his music in the media player on the left sie of this and every page, or learn more about him and his music by visiting his Website.
- Volunteers are pooled from physical education and special education undergraduate and graduate programs across the United States and overseas. Volunteers can sign up online if they are interested in becoming a counselor for the upcoming camp.